Assembly of a Combifloat self elevating platform is simple and time saving, but it is not exempt from a few risks and hazards.
To prevent any unsafe and dangerous situation, it is advised to always assemble (and dis-assemble) a modular jack up with the assistance and surveillance of a trained Combifloat Assembly Supervisor.
Let’s see what the main risks are connected to the assembly and how everyone involved can prevent them from happening.
- General injuries;
- Always use the correct PPE.
- Warn people around you about ongoing works and risks.
- Keep first aid kit readily available.
- Be aware on master points and emergency procedures
Lifting of Combifloat equipment
- Fall down from equipment;
- Collision with crane hook;
- Failure of rigging;
- Dropping objects;
- Always discuss lifting operations in advance.
- Set up a communication system with the crane driver (hand signals / radio).
- Use ladders, man baskets and/or cherry pickers to connect the crane to the equipment.
- Use fall arresters and/or safety harness as appropriate.
- Inspect rigging and lifted object before lifting. Remove any loose material.
- Use tag lines during lifting.
- Never be in the line of fire.
Assembly of Spudwells and Spuds
- Entrapment of limbs during connection;
- Be hit by heavy tools;
- Slips, Trips and Falls;
- Always wear a life vest.
- Preferably, keep an emergency boat in standby.
- Discuss operations and use of tools in advance.
- Inspect tools before use.
- Keep distance from hammering open locks.
- Use mooring lines and fenders to control the assembly.
- Good housekeeping of deck and yard.
- Use of gangway to access from/to shore.
- Secure tools if working at height.
Hydraulic installation and powering up the system
- High pressure oil;
- Remove pressure from the system before disconnecting hoses.
- Execute functional tests before elevating the platform.
The above listed risks, are the main risks connected with the assembly of a Combifloat Self Elevating Platform. In project specific environment, further hazard(s) can raise!
In case of doubts and concerns, do not hesitate to ask to the Combifloat Assembly Supervisor.